Salt

Salt
"Taste and see that the Lord is good." Psalm 34:8

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Fill'er Up, Lord!

The week before I started sabbatical,  I was driving to a home visit when I saw that my gas indicator was on.  I remembered that it had been at least a couple of days that I had been driving around on empty.  There was no time to stop at a station without being late so I just drove on hoping that I wouldn't run out of gas before I reached my destination.  I made it and had a delightful visit.   On the way back to church I reflected on how much I would miss seeing people while I was on sabbatical.  Then, I remembered my gas tank, again.
Sabbatical feels a lot like pulling in to the gas station.  Sometimes, I can get so preoccupied with going from place to place, activity to activity, that I put off doing the most important things that keep me going.  Every once in awhile we need to stop and fill up the tank.  Sure,  it is possible to keep on running on low, even empty, without missing a thing.  But there are times when I wonder if I really have the depth of resources I need to keep on giving or if it is just some fumes.   Fortunately, we have an eternal source of love and grace.   This week my prayer has been, "Fill'er up, Lord!"

No comments:

Post a Comment