Salt

Salt
"Taste and see that the Lord is good." Psalm 34:8

Monday, January 1, 2018

Investing in 2018

For some people the turn of the new year is about resolutions.  I used to be one of those people.  Each year I would make a list of new year's resolutions. By mid- January,  I would admit defeat.  All of the resolutions had been broken and I would just go on aimlessly through the year.  Then, I discovered the idea of picking one word for a focus for the year  It is not perfect,  but 100% better for my personality than a list of resolutions.    It is a way to orient and re-orient myself to - (not a disappointing goal like exercising more) -  but to  a thought process that can carry me through the year.  I've been using this as a kind of spiritual discipline for several years.  Each new year is met with anticipation and a bit of anxiety about what the "word" might be. 

"So, what is your word this year, mom?" was the question posed by my daughter this weekend.  It pushed me toward that dreaded decision.  The first few years it was easy.  While I really like this discipline, for the last couple of years it has been harder.   What do I really want to focus on this year?  What will bring me back to my grounded center when I start to stray?  Where do I want to put my energy in  2018?

And so here it is -  INVEST - is my word for 2018.  I don't like it because it seems to have some kind of financial implications.  I don't mean it that way, but I haven't found a better word.   I considered some synonyms like "value" or "intentional" but they seemed more inclined toward simply thinking about something or someone.  Invest takes initiative.  It means action, not simply thinking about something or someone.  The question for 2018  is 'how will I invest my energy, my talents, my blessings this day?"  Everyday we are given 24 hours.  Each effort - each hour - each action is an investment, - but where, how, in whom?  Have I invested the minutes of my day in the most important people in my life?  Where could I invest more energy in order to do my part in building the kingdom of God?   These are the questions that I am excited to face in 2018.

On this new year's day, I pray that you will find a way to invest in the future and that God will guide you to a focus and a purpose for this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment