Salt

Salt
"Taste and see that the Lord is good." Psalm 34:8

Thursday, October 15, 2015

Changing Landscape

Geography has never been a favorite subject.  I couldn’t figure out in school why I should care about the flow of the Mississippi River, the heights of mountain ranges, or the location of distant lands. I’ve also never liked maps.  I don’t want to be the one in the passenger seat of the car when the driver says, “Take out the map, find out where we are, and tell me which road to take.”  Sometimes it can be fun but more often I end up frustrated by the choices.  I want to be confident that I’ve chosen the best route for the current conditions.  Fortunately, GPS and smart phones have helped us with the process.  Yet, even today with my smart phone, we had trouble getting the directions to Kirk’s favorite pizza place.  Navigation can be challenging. 

The same could be said for this stage of life.  As a recent “empty nester” and with two sons getting married next summer, I feel as though I am traversing some uncharted territory.  It would be nice if there were tools that simply directed, “Take the next turn for spiritual renewal.  Follow this route for family happiness.”  I wonder what this new landscape will mean for the meaning and purpose in my life.  I also think about how I can help others in this stage of life to more deeply engage in their faith journeys.  For there are many ways to look at the landscape of middle life -  what it has to offer and opportunities that might have been previously passed by because of other priorities.

And so, in celebration of our 30th wedding anniversary, Kirk is sharing in my continuing education program  to Israel.  We will study for 2 weeks in the Institute for Holy Land Studies at Jerusalem University College.  It is an exciting time.  However, the pre-study homework included a lot of maps!   I didn’t realize that wanting to learn more about the Holy Land would mean geography class.   Yet, while I plot the locations of places named in Old and New Testament and then see them for myself, I trust that my eyes will be opened - to see the wonders of a ancient landscape, to come alive to the locations within the pages of my Bible or on those maps, and to reflect on their impact for the spiritual landscape of life. 

You are welcome to join the adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment